Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcome!

Hi there, my name is Tim. I’m an ex-Christian. Here I hope to organize my thoughts on why I believe what I do, and why I no longer have faith in Christianity.

So why is it that I no longer believe? There are quite a few reasons, but chief among them is that I see very little evidence in favor of Christianity. Others include the staggering amount of evidence against a young earth, creationism, and a global flood; the numerous errors, inconsistencies, and immoral teachings in the Bible; and several serious philosophical problems with various doctrines of Christianity. I plan to elaborate on these issues a little at a time over the coming months.

What do I believe, then? I hesitate to call myself an atheist because I don’t think I’ve done enough research to completely support that conclusion. [Note: this has since changed.] Certainly I’m a skeptic, meaning I try to critically evaluate any extraordinary claims I come across, including supernatural ones. I’m also an agnostic, meaning I don’t think the existence of God can be definitively proved or disproved. From what I've learned so far, it seems unlikely that a deity exists, and if one does, I suspect it would be a deistic entity rather than a personal one.

As I continue to think, write, and research, I’ll strive to develop a more detailed, cohesive worldview using reason and evidence. I will try my best to remain unbiased as I subject religious claims to skeptical evaluation.

To any believers who decide to drop by: Greetings from the Other Side. Wish you were here!

No comments:

Post a Comment